Mushroom and vegetable bake is a winner in so many ways. Oh Wow! I’m pretty passionate about food being colourful and packed with flavour. But this really nails it. And you can use all sorts of different ingredients to change it just for you. I had an amazing delivery of freshly harvested mushrooms delivered to my door a couple of days ago. Without having to be in isolation, I wouldn’t have had this opportunity. There’s an Urban Farm, called West Tamar Fungi, not too far away from me which produces an incredible variety of different mushrooms. And, I found out about them through a mutual friend. Forget the ordinary supermarket ones. These were ones I hadn’t heard of! So it was really exciting to open the box and explore a whole new world.
Lion’s Mane Mushrooms
Have you ever heard of Lion’s Mane? No, neither had I! The first one I pulled out of the bag looked like a small head of cauliflower, it was so huge! And the flavour! Fresh, aromatic, not overpowering, and just wonderful. In fact, I was fascinated enough with them to buy a grow your own kit too!
When I looked it up, there were so many possible positive health benefits. And obviously, mushrooms in general are a great meat replacement for vegetarians and vegans. So I’m going to have some fun using them over the next couple of days. I’ve also dehydrated some for later. They would be amazing popped into a miso broth, along with some noodles and leafy greens.
As we’re also at the end of our zucchini season, I was keen to go out with a bang. And not waste the last of the crop. It’s really important though to lightly salt the grated zucchini and let it rest for a few minutes. That way, you’ll be able to squeeze so much more water out of it. Pretty essential for most recipes that use zucchini. Check out another one of mine that uses it. Zucchini bread!
Mushroom and Vegetable Bake
Mushroom and Vegetable Bake
- mixing bowl
- flan dish
- 2 cups grated zucchini – water squeezed out
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 spring onions – white and green parts sliced
- 2 tbsp sliced black olives
- 2 tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 40 g fresh mushrooms – sliced or pulled apart I used Lion's Mane
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Pre heat oven to 170C. Grease a 28cm (aprox) flan dish.
- Whisk eggs and milk together and set to one side
- Place the grated carrot, zucchini, parsley in a mixing bowl and combine well. Arrange it evenly over the flan dish.
- Scatter the spring onions, olives and sun dried tomatoes evenly over the vegetables. Break up the mushrooms over the top, and then pour over the egg mixture.
- Spread the grated cheese evenly over the top and bake for 40 minutes.