A Breakfast bake to prepare the night before.
Start your day with an easy breakfast bake that has the perfect protein kick. This will help to reduce your cravings later in the morning. Yep, those cravings that have you reaching for a quick fix. Because that chocolate bar or high sugar muffin is not the way to get you through to lunch! That’s what contributes to those couple of kilos you don’t really want!
If you feel fuller as a result of having breakfast, you are more likely to make healthier food choices throughout the other parts of the day. If you skip breakfast, you can be less likely to eat fruits and vegetables throughout the day. So this can can lead to weight gain and lack of nutrients in the diet. And remember, when you consume high-protein sources, you also take in other nutrients. All the good things like iron, vitamin C, calcium and fibre, depending upon what type of protein source you eat.
When you start the day with a high-protein breakfast, you help fire up your metabolism. And this allows you to burn more calories throughout the day. There has been discussion that those who do not eat breakfast at all risk becoming increasingly resistant to insulin. Insulin is needed to help your body use glucose to provide energy for basic activities. Insulin resistance is associated with increased risk for diabetes. Diabetes is a chronic, and increasingly common, condition. It that can lead to serious complications and is often associated with heart disease and high blood pressure.
Breakfast Bake - Spanish Tomatoes, Beans and Eggs
- 400 gram tin of red kidney beans drained
- 400 gram tin of diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 100 gram soft feta cheese crumbled
- 1 spring onion fine sliced
- 8 eggs free range
- Mix together kidney beans, tomatoes, paprika, and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide between 4 individual oven proof bowls, or use a large oven proof baking dish.
- Divide the crumbled feta between the dishes, and then sprinkle with the spring onion slices.
- Make a depression in the two sides of each dish, and break the eggs into these dips – this is so the yolk stays away from the edges of your dish and cooks evenly with the whites.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 35 minutes.