This vegan summer salad is a salad for everyone. Therefore, if I took out the word vegan, you’d just think what an amazing colour salad. It is layered with different flavours and textures. The base of puy lentils is a great foundation for the smoky eggplant because the slight crunch of the lentils is perfect with the creamy smoothness of the eggplant. And then top it with the sun-ripened tomatoes, fresh asparagus. Finish with garlic scapes and an amazing dressing. You’ve got a family favourite there already!
Follow me on Facebook to see all sorts of recipe ideas, cooking tips and ingredient ideas. https://www.facebook.com/harvestkitchenlaunceston/
Vegan summer salad with puy lentils
- 350 g cooked puy lentils 160g uncooked
- 500 g eggplant 2 large or 3 medium
- 300 g asparagus
- 250 g cherry tomatoes or two large tomatoes
- 30 g garlic scapes or teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 lemon – juice and zest
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn minced chilli
- 1 tspn crushed or finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 50 ml olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh oregano leaves to garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients: lemon juice, zest, salt, chilli, garlic, mint, vinegar and olive oil. Put to one side to infuse.
- There are two ways of doing the eggplant. If you have a hooded barbecue, then heat it to high, and pop the eggplant directly on the grill. Turn every 5 minutes after each side is charred. Allow to cool then scoop out the middle. Or Preheat oven to 220°C, and roast them for about an hour in an oven tray. Scoop out the middle when cool.
- Cut asparagus into thirds, remembering to trim off the tough ends first. Microwave asparagus for 3 minutes, then put straight into cold water.
- Arrange the lentils as a layer in your serving dish. Distribute the eggplant around, then layer the garlic scapes, asparagus and tomatoes over the top.
- Stir all the dressing ingredients together again and drizzle over the top. Garnish with the oregano leaves.
The benefits of lentils
Lentils are a great addition to anyone’s diet. As in the vegan summer salad, puy (or French) lentils add texture and give a great foundation for fresh vegetables and zingy dressings. Lentils are an excellent source of fibre and are rich in minerals and protein. Red lentils are amazing in soups as they break down and thicken any soup. Therefore, without the need for adding any flour or bought gravy powders.
Check out this link (which is one of many that are useful).
Vegan Summer Salad – great for dairy free, gluten free diets.
Vegan recipes are naturally good for people who are following a dairy free diet. And, there is no need for the recipes to be boring. Because, there are many combinations of herbs, spices and textures which will make amazing dishes. So, the next time you get asked to make a dish to suit a dairy free person, use this as a go to recipe!
And, for people who need to watch their gluten intake, this is a great side dish for all sorts of chicken and fish dishes.
It is substantial enough to be a meal on it’s own as lentils are full of protein, fibre and minerals. Also, it is fantastic with the addition of silken tofu, or vegan cheese.