Veggie chips filled with flavour
Veggie chips are a perfect way to boost your vegetable and fibre intake! Do you find your kids don’t want to eat as many veg as you’d hope? And when you mention chips, they just think white potato? Hmm.. Well, these air fryer chips are extremely moreish, and will have them asking for them again and again. So you’d better get them mastered! They’ll be on the menu for snacks. Sharing with friends. And really, just any excuse (do you actually need one).
The great thing about this recipe is that you can use just about any vegetable. Do you go to the fridge at the end of the week and discover leftover odd vegetables? Well, now you can turn them into an amazing share platter of veggie chips! Why not? Don’t forget you can also pop your favourite dip in the middle and use them to scoop it out.
Not got an air fryer – no problems. Scroll to the bottom for the times and temperatures for a convection oven.
What’s the secret with cooking them?
One of the great tips for you is to get the slices nice and thin. And even, if possible. Then you don’t get some overcooking before the others are done. It’s not much of an investment for you to get a mandolin. And some of those basic box graters have a mandolin on one side! So check that out first on the grater you have.
Another tip is to not be tempted to turn up the temperature on the fryer. You will get those burnt bits around the edges. The secret is to dry out the chips evenly. And that way you’ll get that great curl in them too.
Some other ideas to add to the platter
Do you want to add something else to the platter? Drain and rinse a tin of chickpeas, dry them and coat them in spices. Then toss them in the air fryer for 4 minutes. They are just wonderful to crunch on, and are loaded with good gut health fibre.
Air fryer veggie chips
- Air Fryer
- mixing bowl
- sharp knife or mandolin
- 150 grams carrots
- 200 grams sweet potato
- 250 grams beetroot
- 250 grams zucchini
- 100 grams snow peas
- 100 grams asparagus
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1 tbsp olive oil garlic infused
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- Slice each vegetable thinly using your sharp knife, or on a mandolin and put in separate bowls
- drizzle a bit of olive oil over each bowl of vegies, and mix through thoroughly
- sprinkle smoked paprika over sweet potato slices and mix in well
- sprinkle herbs over carrots and zucchini and mix well
- season the beetroot with salt and black pepper
- heat air fryer to 180C, and lightly spray the basket
- cook each vegetable separately. Potatoes, beetroort and carrots for 10 min each, zucchini for 6 min, and snow pea/asparagus mix for 4. Use a double layer if you have one to double up the amount you do at one time.
- When cooked, arrange on a platter, and sprinkle nutritional yeast over the top.